Sunday, October 23, 2016

#Scriptchat Transcript: How do you make time to write? Tips for making yourself accountable.

#Scriptchat tonight was full of tips for carving time out, focusing on your writing and ways to make yourself accountable to get that first draft down. Enjoy! @jeannevb

Read the transcript below or on the Storify site.

#Scriptchat Transcript: How do you make time to write? Tips for making yourself accountable.

#Scriptchat Transcript: How do you make time to write? Tips for making yourself accountable.

#Scriptchat tonight was full of tips for carving time out, focusing on your writing and ways to make yourself accountable to get that first draft down. Enjoy! @jeannevb
  1. It’s #SCRIPTCHAT O’CLOCK! Topic: How do you juggle family/work, etc and make time to write? Getting that 1st draft on the pg.
  2. @jeannevb Hey hey! The page isn't showing new tweets, anyone else having this issue? #scriptchat
  3. @jeannevb Have actually gotten more productive with less available time. Sharpens the focus methinks #scriptchat
  4. I think having a solid way of working helps, as well as being able to break down tasks... #scriptchat
  5. Ugh, the tchat.io site isn’t working. Tried it on multiple browsers. Let’s muddle thru w/Twitter #scriptchat
  6. @wcmartell no, it’s on but slow bc the tchat site isn’t working. #scriptchat
  7. But that usually works when you KNOW what you have to do... open creative time is trickier #scriptchat
  8. For me, it's all a matter of trying to make time, plus how I feel during the day after other work #scriptchat
  9. @filmwritr4 ugh, working for 8 hrs and then not having anything in the tank for your script is the worst #scriptchat
  10. It can take a long time for me to finish articles, research #scriptchat
  11. @blueneumann Yep. I have trouble thinking of ideas sometimes. Maybe it's because I write so much for my other work #scriptchat
  12. OK, so let's get this chat rolling! How do you find time to write w/ kids/job, etc. #scriptchat
  13. For a time I wrote for an hour a day, but then I never stuck to it after I finished the first draft #scriptchat
  14. BTW, you can have no kids and no job and still be garbage at finding time to write #scriptchat
  15. #scriptchat When I worked a day job I wrote 1 page a day before work... that's 3 specs a year.
  16. I have no kids (thank god considering what my sister goes through). #scriptchat
  17. @jeannevb why do I write better with a little chaos around me? #scriptchat weird but true.
  18. I find that shutting off the outside world helps. Carving a chunk of time, even if just to think and scribble ideas down #scriptchat
  19. I have developed a "30 free seconds" form of writing! I have to write in tiny spurts or I don't have time to write. #scriptchat
  20. RT @wcmartell #scriptchat When I worked a day job I wrote 1 page a day before work... that's 3 specs a year.
  21. @chasinglamely we're also late starting bc of technical difficulties. No worries! #scriptchat
  22. As for work, I try to keep work at work and give myself time for my own pursuits. #scriptchat
  23. Finding time to power through is one thing, what about the more power/energy intensive writing duties? #scriptchat
  24. RT @wcmartell #scriptchat When I worked a day job I wrote 1 page a day before work... that's 3 specs a year.
  25. Some ppl have to turn off all social media to write but I like the white noise. #scriptchat
  26. @Al_1701 It's supposed to be 8 hrs for work, 8 for sleep and 8 for "what you will," but that last 8 is never solid #scriptchat
  27. I write in the car waiting for my kids more than anywhere else, probably. #scriptchat
  28. @blueneumann There's lunch and going to and from work in there. More like six hours tops. #scriptchat
  29. @Ai_1701 it's broken up, PLUS your drive and your meals are part of that #scriptchat
  30. Blue Book Prices Going Up!: FINAL WEEK! November 1st, 2016 I am raising the prices on all of the ...  http://bit.ly/2eXL7Px  #scriptchat
  31. I have been trying to stay fresh comedically, coming up with some topical jokes on @comedywire #scriptchat
  32. I had to learn to say no to a lot of people (PTA) & let go of parental-perfection #scriptchat
  33. Just want to say, whenever any of you need a #writingsprint, just call it out & ppl will jump in #scriptchat
  34. @Al_1701 I love running errands, gets my energy going. Can ad-lib and improvise while I do it #scriptchat
  35. Indeed. My productivity and goals achieved have shot up way past when I had no kids. Plus, they inspire me SOOO much. #scriptchat  https://twitter.com/blueneumann/status/790345194931621888 
  36. Even an hour a day working on scripts (like I used to do) can help. #scriptchat
  37. It was hard esp because no one believed Id really finish my project or sell it. But it felt like work to me. So I set limits. #scriptchat
  38. Not easy but impt. RT @RLSoo I had to learn to say no to a lot of people (PTA) & let go of parental-perfection #scriptchat
  39. #scriptchat My outline method helped - breaking the script up into bite sized pieces.
  40. I'm a teacher, so i sneak time all over the place. When I'm in computer lab, etc. My kids don't need me to hover over them. #scriptchat
  41. @wcmartell I like that, but it takes a good long time for me to create that outline #scriptchat
  42. Was terrified my kids would consider me a failure if I didn't sell it. #scriptchat
  43. I'm taking part in NoNoWriMo to help with my creative juices. #scriptchat
  44. Is it posted anywhere? RT @wcmartell #scriptchat My outline method helped - breaking the script up into bite sized pieces.
  45. @wcmartell @blueneumann It can take a long time to do an outline. Tried to come up with an idea for my web series today #scriptchat
  46. I'm finding that getting time to write between work and study is getting harder and harder. I've got so much I need to finish #scriptchat
  47. Another struggle is when a writer's family doesn't understand the passion. Advice to help those in that spot? #scriptchat
  48. My biggest issue? I've been inefficient by not outlining (lots of pg 1 rewrites). Not to be an ad, but Scrivener is my new bff #scriptchat
  49. I did sell it (a novel). They were proud. For about ten minutes. #scriptchat
  50. Yet, it was hard for me to come up with a funny complication and resolution in a short form story #scriptchat
  51. @RLSoo I talked w/ my kids about the importance of trying, growing, learning, and subjectivity of art. Great teaching moment! #scriptchat
  52. @jeannevb Have a private place and defend it like a rabid wolverine. #scriptchat
  53. I totally let the housework go. My attitude: I will clean it when I am ready to sell it. #scriptchat
  54. @RLSoo I would say if I compounded all the times my family was proud of me, it would be under ten minutes #scriptchat
  55. @filmwritr4 It helps to have a "sacrifice" project to teach you the ropes, something you're writing for the trashcan #scriptchat
  56. #scriptchat My outline method - proposed 5 page segments:  http://www.scriptsecrets.net/tips/timelines.htm  Also helps with building pacing into the script.
  57. Just trying to make a set time of day to write scripts could help, as it did before #scriptchat
  58. @jeannevb @indiancowboy I could never get on with scrivener; doesn't suit the way I write #scriptchat
  59. I don't try to convince or ask permission anymore. I also don't ask husband or kids (teens/ya) read early drafts. #scriptchat  https://twitter.com/jeannevb/status/790346747637862400 
  60. basic customer relationship mgmt. don't care about what you need but about what they need. twill give dividends beyond compare #scriptchat  https://twitter.com/jeannevb/status/790346747637862400 
  61. @blueneumann That might work, if for nothing else but practice and a possible sample #scriptchat
  62. @jeannevb I talk about WHY I write w/ my family. If they can't support something that makes me happy (& sane) we have a prob! #scriptchat
  63. I'm up at 4 am when everyone of firmly asleep and I can get a solid 2-3 hours of work before everyone gets up. #scriptchat  https://twitter.com/jeannevb/status/790346747637862400 
  64. I'm a planner. I need to cross things off my list. I break down my goals into baby steps & knock em out #scriptchat
  65. Learning to compartmentalize. A set time/end time gives me freedom to write. Outside of that, focus on family when with family. #scriptchat
  66. #scriptchat Find the time when it's quiet - before people are awake or after they've gone to bed or when they're gone or you are.
  67. @megankbickel That's not the worst plan; my family don't listen until I make a sale. Then they want stuff. #scriptchat
  68. @jeannevb Baby steps are great when you're working, just got one thing to do that day. #scriptchat
  69. #scriptchat I also have a To Do List where I can cross things off - gives me a feeling of accomplishment and makes sure I get off my butt.
  70. Specific to screenwriting (vs fiction) I wrote last screenplay with a collaborator. We had schdled work time. Kept us honest. #scriptchat
  71. I'm lucky to not need quiet when I write. I can literally knock pgs out with chaos around me #scriptchat
  72. @filmwritr4 I don't have a set time... recently it switched to daytime so I can sit and get fresh air #scriptchat
  73. @jeannevb I have to vomit draft a complete outline then tweak it as I write. #scriptchat
  74. I wonder if taking a break to prepare for writing would help, just to build energy after other work #scriptchat
  75. I can't do vomit drafts anymore. I kind of have one for my pilot and it's slowing me down considerably #scriptchat
  76. @jeannevb I need complete, unadulterated silence. No TV, no music, no people. #scriptchat
  77. @filmwritr4 But you need to BUILD that energy. Take a walk, shower, put yourself in a different mindset #scriptchat
  78. Of course, @onthepage's Coffee Break Screenwriter has lots of writing exercises that can be done in 10 minutes #scriptchat
  79. @blueneumann depends on what side of the 🌞 you like to end up on. Personally it gets me through my day knowing I got my pg count #scriptchat
  80. Try setting alarm reminders "Did you do 1 thing toward your writing goal today?" #scriptchat
  81. @chasinglamely I've always been very vocal about how sales are nice, but this process is for me. I need to write. #scriptchat
  82. @blueneumann I have to with features. Never with TV. I'll literally just vomit out a pilot on a page and fix it afterwards. #scriptchat
  83. (1) I think the best way is to just show them. If talking happens more than doing, then the passion won't be seen. #scriptchat  https://twitter.com/jeannevb/status/790346747637862400 
  84. Twitter zaps my discipline. WWF, too. If I'm honest. #scriptchat
  85. @filmwritr4 It does. It's also the best screenwriting book on the market, for my money. @onthepage is basically my go-to now. #scriptchat
  86. @jeannevb Ditto. I call it my "zone brain" - I can get in the zone regardless of environment. Have to - or I'd never write! #scriptchat
  87. @chasinglamely @onthepage It definitely is the best and most helpful screenwriting book out there. #scriptchat
  88. @SarahAlexis4 I do that too. Baby steps and before you know it, it's done. #scriptchat
  89. @megankbickel exactly. I always tell them that I really don't care if I never sell again. I just need to write. #scriptchat
  90. @jeannevb problem is #screenwriting is "invisible work" b/c we usually work alone. Some time passes & you emerge w/a manuscript #Scriptchat
  91. #scriptchat Think of it as slow and steady wins the race. Whether it's 1 page or 3 pages or a half page - you get closer to the end.
  92. @chasinglamely @onthepage Totally demystifies the writing process, while challenging the imagination and helping each step #scriptchat
  93. @chasinglamely I'd never get anything done if I needed quiet! How the hell do you do it? #scriptchat
  94. @filmwritr4 ever been to an @onthepage seminar, Chris? You really, really should. Best weekend I ever spent on my writing. #scriptchat
  95. think it's different for novel writers vs screenwriters - one delivers a finished product, the other just an intermediate step #scriptchat
  96. What about those with a job expected to be at work at 5 many days of the week. #scriptchat
  97. hard to convince anyone you have completed something when you can get blocked after your intermediate step for like, ever. ;) #scriptchat
  98. @jeannevb b/c of this it's hard for people to see #screenwriting as "work" because all the sweating was done behind closed doors #scriptchat
  99. @chasinglamely @onthepage I've never been to one of Pilar's seminars. Would love to if I get the chance. #scriptchat
  100. RT @indiancowboy it's difft for novel writers vs screenwriters - 1 delivers a finished product, the other an intermediate step #scriptchat
  101. @jeannevb find quiet? Easy. I'm quite antisocial by nature, people who know me are used to me wanting space. All the space. #scriptchat
  102. Since learning the craft is important, I need to commit to reading at least 1 script a day. #scriptchat
  103. We also have to remember we're stacking projects. We should factor that into our task lists #scriptchat
  104. @filmwritr4 you really should. It's honestly the best thing you'll ever do for your career with the exception of just writing. #scriptchat
  105. So what's your biggest challenge? Maybe someone here has a solution. #scriptchat
  106. @chasinglamely @onthepage Thanks so much Kriss. Hopefully I can get the chance to, and maybe meet you at one of them #scriptchat
  107. @jeannevb my biggest challenge is finding time between my day job and my studies, at the moment. #scriptchat
  108. Cutting way back in socializing & TV and movie watching has worked for me. #findingtimetowrite #scriptchat
  109. #scriptchat True, but both required a beginning/middle/end of a made up world with no one needing me to persevere. #scriptchat  https://twitter.com/indiancowboy/status/790349919043330048 
  110. Every day I open my script or notebook up and put it next to my computer at work. Any 30 seconds I get, I use. #scriptchat
  111. @jeannevb Just trying to make time to write scripts, and to feel up to it depending on how I feel. #scriptchat
  112. @chasinglamely how about finding someone to be accountable to? Like a writing buddy you have to give your weekly goals to. #scriptchat
  113. @SarahAlexis4 - true that. But it's bad when you hit the zone & you want to yell, "You're existing too loud!" #scriptchat #screenwriting
  114. @Al_1701 I think it's about carving out those specific times you can write and keep it consistent, even if it's short moments #scriptchat
  115. Some days I don't touch it, but most days I get something done during work. #scriptchat
  116. @jeannevb my problem is I outline too much... I try to dissect everything before writing the first draft. #scriptchat
  117. @filmwritr4 @onthepage you never know. Of we were closer, I'd have suggested a collaboration already anyway #scriptchat
  118. @megankbickel I like to have one writing issue to mull over in my brain when I'm away from proper writing. #scriptchat
  119. Here's what I want you to do. Find a writing buddy here. Pair up. Be accountable to ea other for 1 month. See if it helps. #scriptchat
  120. @jeannevb @chasinglamely Maybe we could collaborate, even though we're obviously miles away #scriptchat
  121. Currently reading my toddler a "bedtime story" in a squeaky voice on the topic I'm writing about next. Indentured servitude? #scriptchat
  122. @blueneumann Yes! Sometimes I have my notebook open and give myself a task like "figure out character's nickname" or whatever #scriptchat
  123. @filmwritr4 that's true. I forget the internet is a thing. Even when I'm on it, apparently. #scriptchat
  124. @WriteInTheWild haha I used to read him bedtime story in a super soft voice that put him to sleep faster #scriptchat
  125. For me. The challenge is to table the other story ideas that flood my brain as I’m trying to focus on the story at hand. #scriptchat
  126. @jeannevb oh my god, there's the hashtag we need for a buddy system! #scriptchat
  127. Every night write a note to yourself what you want to accomplish the next day. Make time to do it. A promise to your career. #scriptchat
  128. @mdfield This is why I like Scrivener, I can brainstorm and keep it organized #scriptchat
  129. I have a running list of "issues" I need to address in a script. In a down moment or two, look at list & see if I can solve one. #scriptchat
  130. @megankbickel That seems to be the way to do it, especially if you have a 9-to-5er #scriptchat
  131. Yep. Thinking more about a script needing to be a film for true "completion" (excl script sales, which is not my primary goal) #scriptchat  https://twitter.com/RLSoo/status/790350865928482816 
  132. @jeannevb we could just form one big, bad support group via twitter #scriptchat
  133. @SarahAlexis4 - at 3 pages a day, you can bang out a draft in a month. So I try to make that my goal. #scriptchat
  134. We did. It's called #scriptchat haha RT @chasinglamely @jeannevb we could just form one big, bad support group via twitter #scriptchat
  135. @blueneumann You’re not the first one to suggest Scrivener. I may have to check it out. Thanks. #scriptchat
  136. @blueneumann Yep! Sometimes you have to be able to do things that allow you to make progress even if you aren't writing pages #scriptchat
  137. @jeannevb true, but it'd be nice to find a tool that alerts us on mobile, kind of an SOS hashtag to separate this from that! #scriptchat
  138. @1NonlyGene_Rol I try to make it 5 pages or 1 hour, whichever comes first. Got my first draft of a sitcom pilot done that way #scriptchat
  139. @filmwritr4 aren't we just? Oh my god, imagine if we all collaborated on one project? #ScriptchatTheMovie #scriptchat
  140. @SarahAlexis4 Yeah, I do some of that. But the pull and yearning to do those stories is strong. I must have better writer will. #scriptchat
  141. @mdfield I was a horse to water with it, held out forever, but it really helped (esp w/ my scatter brain) #scriptchat
  142. #scriptchat Figure out what gets pages written for you and do that - you may not *like it*, but it's what works.
  143. @filmwritr4 Nice! See, I can't properly write w/o an outline... THAT'S a big heavy job #scriptchat
  144. @filmwritr4 - if I get 5 pages I feel like a superhero. I could damn near take flight. #scriptchat
  145. @filmwritr4 given the number of hypens we've got between us, we could probably get it done! #scriptchat
  146. @chasinglamely We all probably have a different strength we could bring to the table #scriptchat
  147. @blueneumann :) Thanks. I do try to write the story in prose form and work from that on the first draft of each script #scriptchat
  148. Staton Rabin gives tips for how to make the most of your #screenwriting contest success. #scriptchat...  http://fb.me/3js35Lux5 
  149. #scriptchat I used to mentally work on my scene at the day job so that I knew what I was doing the next day. Talking to myself sometimes.
  150. @1NonlyGene_Rol It's happened to me a few times. Very fulfilling at the end. #scriptchat
  151. Let's talk about getting that 1st draft down. I'm a big fan of stream of consciousness writing/brainstorming to get warmed up #scriptchat
  152. @wcmartell But I was working retail so I kept watching customers and basing characters off of them #scriptchat
  153. #Scriptchat Have your spouse withhold food from you until you write 10 pages. Food is an excellent motivator
  154. I also love working w/my MacBook just because I love to jot notes in 📝 app & then plop them in my #screenwriting program later #scriptchat
  155. @jeannevb I usually try to come up with a story in prose form, then working on the characters and the script #scriptchat
  156. @chasinglamely We'd better be writing a comedy. "This is a serious drama, why is everyone joking around?" #scriptchat
  157. @jeannevb Sometimes, my drafts tend to stray a little from the original prose story I wrote #scriptchat
  158. @blueneumann no reason not to have jokes in a drama. Balance that and you've got gold. #scriptchat
  159. I also try not to go back and read so much, because it easy to get sick of re-reading & start to hate your work. #scriptchat  https://twitter.com/wcmartell/status/790354492592128000 
  160. Found the book "Deep Work" insightful. Drove me to do what it takes to find large chunks of write time #scriptchat  http://a.co/gqc6Sv3 
  161. Writing a pilot about my day job has made having my day job more tolerable. Every time something goes wrong: grist for the mill. #scriptchat
  162. @filmwritr4 @jeannevb I'll second that. Plus, I figure I can always extend it into a novel to give the script a 'property.' #scriptchat
  163. @jeannevb I've been known to dump out a pack of M&Ms and only allow myself to eat one per half page...#scriptchat
  164. @JLalliWriter Haha! I'd definitely read that and watch it if it was ever produced. #scriptchat
  165. @Jamie_Nash - my wife just has to look at me. That look of disappointment. Brutal. #scriptchat
  166. @JLalliWriter I might do a workplace sitcom myself, now that you mention it. #scriptchat
  167. @blueneumann - I sometimes get annoyed, AND, on a good day, mild amusement. #scriptchat
  168. @filmwritr4 I miss those old workplace sitcoms like Just Shoot Me, where work seemed like a fun place. #scriptchat
  169. @filmwritr4 they seem to make good money; I never would've seen The Office coming #scriptchat
  170. If I wrote about my day job, people would take a red hot poker to their eyes rather than suffer that script. #scriptchat
  171. @chasinglamely Every now and then, my brain will sing "Maya's going ot burn in hell, doo dah, doo dah!" #scriptchat
  172. @blueneumann Yep. I admit I've only seen parts of The Office. Definitely watched Just Shoot Me #scriptchat
  173. #ScriptChat Send me a check for $1000 dated a month from now. If you send me 90 pages I tear up the check. Otherwise, I'm buying a new TV.
  174. Ironically, my old 'day job' is always the one people joke about wanting a script about #scriptchat
  175. @blueneumann that's in my head now. Thanks for that. It didn't help that I had a sister called Maia at the time... #scriptchat
  176. @Jamie_Nash - I'm tempted to take that bet. There your motivation. #ScriptChat
  177. @blueneumann I used to wrestle at the time. Whener I hear the 'we want you to write a show about pro wrestling' joke I cringe. #scriptchat
  178. For the web series blog I write for @SnobbyRobot I covered a comedy about telemarketers. It's called The Call Room #scriptchat
  179. @SarahAlexis4 - notes app on my phone is my friend. If only because I save myself a retype! #scriptchat
  180. 1 last tip: Write EVERY day, even if it's just 15 minutes. The story will keep simmering in your mind all day. #scriptchat
  181. #scriptchat a notebook and pen on you at all times. First drafts are meant to be written freehand. Ideally, while in the woods somewhere.
  182. Thanks again for having me, guys! Really enjoyed it, as always! See you next week! *cookies and hugs* #scriptchat
  183. @filmwritr4 oh, we love having you. You're the only reason I show up. I don't even write, because I'm illiterate #scriptchat
  184. @jeannevb @knibby1984 Accidentally wrote some Hamilton lyrics I was singing the other day... #scriptchat
  185. @filmwritr4 I'm supposed to be finding MORE writing time, remember? ;-) #scriptchat
  186. As always, thanks to you all for showing up ea wk & investing in your writing. Now shut up & go write! :) #scriptchat
  187. Grabbing the transcript for those who missed it. See you next week! #scriptchat
  188. Happy writing this week, everyone! Thanks for the great #scriptchat - as always!
  189. @filmwritr4 I'll be writing. I've found that it's easier than hand signals and less annoying than talking. #scriptchat
  190. RT @jeannevb: 1 last tip: Write EVERY day, even if it's just 15 minutes. The story will keep simmering in your mind all day. #scriptchat

No comments:

Post a Comment